Post loads to comments.
More pics from “Earn Your Feast” are on our Facebook page.
Did you overdo it a bit after “Earning your feast”? It’s not uncommon and it’s nothing to be racked with guilt over either. A new study published in the Journal of Physiology shows that just 45 min of exercise per day can be enough to combat the ill effects of holiday over-indulgence.
The study had subjects increase their total daily calories by 50% and reduce their total daily caloric expenditure by greater than 50%. One group ran on a treadmill for 45 min/day and the other group did not exercise at all. After just 1 week, the non-exercisers were showing physiologic signs that their bodies were already in a state of declining health.
But the volunteers who had exercised once a day, despite comparable energy surpluses, were not similarly afflicted. Their blood sugar control remained robust, and their fat cells exhibited far fewer of the potentially undesirable alterations in gene expression than among the sedentary men.
“Exercise seemed to completely cancel out many of the changes induced by overfeeding and reduced activity,” said Dylan Thompson, a professor of health sciences at the University of Bath and senior author of the study. And where it did not countermand the impacts, he continued, it “softened” them, leaving the exercise group “better off than the nonexercise group,” despite engaging in equivalently insalubrious behavior.
Now, we don’t suggest that you use this study as permission to just throw caution to the wind and start gorging yourself on a daily basis just because you come to CrossFit regularly. You can, however, use this to reassure yourself that the extra scoop of whipped cream you put on your pumpkin pie isn’t going to have long term deleterious effects on your health. Keep moving and keep the over-indulgences to a minimum and you’ll get through the holiday season unscathed.
**Schedule Reminder – 9am and 10am classes only today**
15 min AMRAP
9 Deadlifts (225#/155#)
12 Hand release push-ups
15 Box jumps (24″/20″)
Post number of completed rounds and additional reps to comments.
What an awesome morning yesterday was. In total we had 88 people start their Turkey Day with the classic CrossFit benchmark workout, “Jackie”. We hope you all had a fantastic day. Remember, we have a modified schedule today as noted above. Saturday we are back on our regular schedule.
**Schedule Reminder – Only 1 class today at 10am. Kids room will be open, $5/child**
50 Thrusters (44#/33#)
Compare to 02/26/13 and post time to comments.
We are very excited for our 5th annual “Earn Your Feast” WOD at Kitsap CrossFit. This community has given us so many things to be thankful for. I would just like to take a moment to mention a few:
1. The relationships and friendships we have formed with you all. Owning a CrossFit Affiliate is unlike any other business I can think of. What we have all entered into goes so much deeper than just a business agreement. The ties that bind us all run very deep and to be frank, it’s why we love owning this business as much as we do.
2. The sense of pride that you give to us on a daily basis. You all work so hard day in and day out and it shows. We see you doing amazing things in the gym every day. You tell us of the amazing things you do outside the gym every day. Things that surprise your friends and family and things that surprise you, but they don’t surprise us one bit.
3. The amazing men and women in uniform who we are honored to call members of Kitsap CrossFit as well as friends. We are fortunate to be located so close to Bangor and the shipyard and we are thrilled that you have chosen us as your place to chase “Elite Fitness”. Thank you all for everything you do.
4. The way that you embrace all newcomers and visitors. This kinds of goes along with number 1, but it is what makes this place special. We have all heard on numerous occasions from visitors and members when they were new that the welcome they received when they walked in the door for their first WOD was what impressed them the most. You all know how intimidating that first WOD can be and we are so thankful that you all remember that and try to make that experience as “painless” as possible for our newbies.
5. The way that you all rally around any member in a moment of need or any organization we ask you to support. The charity and goodwill demonstrated by the members of the KCF community never ceases to amaze us. Just when we think we may have asked you to give maybe one too many times you all rally and blow our socks off.
Honestly, this list could go on and on. Do you see the consistent theme? Community! It’s the lifeblood of Kitsap CrossFit and we thank you all for being a vital part of that. If you are able to join us for the workout today we are excited to have you. If you are unable to make it today, we wish you all the best and hope that you have a fantastic Thanksgiving wherever you are celebrating it.
**Schedule Reminder – No Skills & Drills Tonight**
10 Rounds for time
3 Snatches (165#/115#)
30 Double unders
Post time to comments.
Are you still scrambling to figure out what you are going to make for Thanksgiving? It’s not too late, although, good luck finding a parking spot at the grocery story. I could have done a comprehensive search of all of the interwebs and put together some of the best looking recipes but fortunately, Mark Sisson of Mark’s Daily Apple has already done the work for me. Check out his Primal Thanksgiving Menu post. It is essentially a comprehensive recipe list from appetizers to desserts with links to all the recipes. We make his Breadless Cauliflower and Mushroom Stuffing every year and it’s a big hit.
Once you get your menu finalized and your shopping done, don’t forget to plan out your day and make sure you come in to our 5th annual Earn Your Feast WOD at 10am on Thanksgiving Day.