October 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm

“Lauriel”
23 Deadlifts (155#/105#)
23 Handstand push-ups
23 Back squats (155#/105#) from the floor
23 Burpees
23 Ground-to-overhead (155#/105#)

There is a 20 minute cap on this workout. Compare to 09/26/12 and post time to comments.

DL

For Lauriel

(written by Shawn Thumma)

Today is a special and partially sad day.  For those of you who know Lauriel’s story this will be an update and a look into the next few months.  For those who are new to our box this will help to get you up to speed. We all have different reasons for being inspired but I think it’s safe to say that Lauriel has always been an inspiration to all of us at Kitsap CrossFit along with just about every place she goes. Lauriel is a bad-ass in many ways as you will see below.

With PR’s that include a 300# dead lift, 230# front squat, 170# push jerk, 4:09 RX Fran and muscle ups with ease.  This helped Lauriel to place 16th in the 2010 Southwest Sectionals (Pre Open days), which earned her a spot to 2010 Regionals. She competed in 2010 Regionals against many well known names like Kristen Clever, who won the 2010 Games, Rebecca Voigt and Katie Hogan.

In 2011 after the first Open WOD she was sitting in a strong 29th place in the world and looking good for a Masters spot to the Games.
As the end of the first week closed in April 2011 she knew something was not right.  After fighting massive head aches and fatigue for a couple days she went to the ER.  She was diagnosed with a Grade 4, Glioblastoma Multiforme.  This is the most aggressive and incurable brain cancer there is.  Less than 50% survive 1 year after diagnosis.

Lauriel went through chemotherapy, radiation and a drug trial in the months after her first brain surgery.  While all this was happening along with trying to come to grips with the realization of her diagnosis she started CrossFit again, about 6 weeks after surgery.  Barely 6 months later she was fighting cancer in a different way.  Out in the hot AZ sun, in a parking lot doing “Grace”, for the annual Barbells for Boobs to raise awareness and money for Breast Cancer.

She continued her recovery, mentally and physically with CrossFit being a huge part and completed the 2012 Open in 368th place out of over 1100 worldwide!  In September 2012 the tumor returned and she had her second surgery.  Again a few weeks later she was at the box giving the WODs her all and not letting the surgery, the Benadryl every 4 hours, or the 2 different continuous chemo drugs slow her down.

2013 arrives and Lauriel is excited about preparing for the Open once again.  The MRI shows the tumor is growing again and a 3rd surgery is on the horizon.  Instead of being defeated she continued her recovery and entered the Open knowing she might not be able to complete all the WODs before surgery.  She finished the 5th WOD and 2 days later had her 3rd surgery in March 2013.  A few weeks later she once again started back at the box all over again.

I believe I can safely say that most of us have had to stop CrossFit for a short period, whether it be due to money, time, injury etc … and I can say from experience it is FRUSTRATING.  To help put this into perspective; Lauriel competed in the 2010 REGIONALS, was knocked down, mentally and physically, from terminal cancer, got up and started fighting her way back 3 separate times in less than 2 years!  She averaged 2 months away from CrossFit each time post brain surgery, as well as endured at least 2 forms of continuous chemo and other drugs.

The tumor is now growing rapidly and starting in new places in her brain.  One of the new tumors is responsible for her losing most of her memory although she does remember most people’s names but not necessarily why.  She is very confused, very tired and is only awake for about 4-5 hours a day.  Lauriel is home and on Hospice care now.  There is nothing medically left to do at this point.  She is comfortable, not in any pain and not scared.

I want you to know that every day is a struggle to stay positive and keep hope alive yet assure you that all of your help, support and love is a TREMENDOUS and much needed help!

With all of this said, there are some very tough days ahead and as we look back, we realize that time flies by WAY too fast. Understanding that everybody and every case is different; the very sad and realistic reality is that we will all be very lucky to be blessed to have her in our lives until Thanksgiving.

I want to end this post on an upbeat and positive note by saying that the past, almost 2 years here have been amazing.  The community and support is second to none!  This would have been a much tougher battle without all of you.  All we can ask is to keep doing exactly as you have been.

Showing up, showing love and support and just being you.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR ALL YOU DO!  EVERY ONE OF YOU!

• [...] http://www.kitsapcrossfit.com/2013/10/workout/monday-102113/ [...]

Posted by: 26-04-2014 – Saturday WOD | CrossFit Resonate 2:02 am on April 25th, 2014
  • [...] “Lauriel” (Click to pull up the story of Lauriel, a CrossFitter from Washington who recently lost the battle with cancer) [...]

Posted by: Eugene CrossFit Gym – Friday, April 11, 2014 6:54 pm on April 11th, 2014
  • [...] Check out Lauriel’s story here: http://www.kitsapcrossfit.com/2013/10/workout/monday-102113/ [...]

Posted by: - CrossFit NXNW | CrossFit NXNW 2:31 pm on April 5th, 2014
  • I got my kid from school, but had 30 minutes to do gym work. I dedicate it to Laurel. She is in my thoughts. How is she right now?

Posted by: Mark Anderson 12:54 pm on April 1st, 2014
  • I know this is just making the rounds in some places…. any chance for an update on Lauriel? It sounded grave in October. Very inspiring story.

Posted by: G. Haynes 10:35 am on April 1st, 2014
  • God bless us all.
    Your story will always be in my heart from now on. ..my inspiration.

Posted by: Gerald Danao 5:49 am on April 1st, 2014
  • nothing but respect and admiration and prayers!

Posted by: Jeff Egbert 5:28 am on April 1st, 2014
  • Amazing story, RESPECT!
    Once I recover from my surgery will look forward to do your WOD

Posted by: Yiannos 1:44 am on April 1st, 2014
  • Biggest hugs to Lauriel and her family at this sad time from New Zealand

Posted by: Karen 12:35 am on April 1st, 2014
  • God Bless You, you are a inspiration!
    From Florida you will be in our prayers

Posted by: Rossen 11:59 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Lauriel is such an inspiration for us all!! You are both in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless!

Posted by: Stacy 6:00 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Truly inspirational

Posted by: Emily 5:46 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Prayers and Gods blessings from Massachsetts.. Thank you for sharing/inspiring… So strong… Such strength in character… So much respect for her and the honor you show her..
    Norm V

Posted by: Norm V 5:25 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Awesome and inspiring!

Posted by: Brian K 5:17 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • I am so inspired and touched by Lauriel’s story, and I wanted to take the time to thank you for sharing. I’ll be sharing this story with the box that I just rejoined- I no longer feel ashamed of the progress that I lost in the time that I was away, but will focus on doing what I am able to do. I will focus on being grateful that I’ve made the choice to be the healthiest me I can be, no matter what I felt/feel may be holding me back. Laurel is a lesson in perseverance through adversity, for which I am feeling grateful tonight. Your descriptions of her drive and commitment are really inspiring. and I think that Lauriel will pop to mind whenever I need a reality check. I wish peace and blessings for her, her family, and her Crossfit family. God bless.

Posted by: Alicia 4:41 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Very touching story of an amazing athlete /woman – never stop fighting – best wishes and good luck my prayers are with you – feeling inspired over the Pond in Bristol UK !!! We must cherish life and enjoy everyday .

Posted by: sean suleman 3:25 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Lauriel I admire you for your heart and determination, it is hard to fight through a WOD for a person without handicaps of health issues so what you do is amazing in itself and I applaud you. I have a lung disease myself that I found crossfit while trying to do just as you and many others do we FIGHT our situations. It can be done but takes dedication and you have that for sure. Don’t give up, trust me I know how hard some days can be but I tell all my athletes no matter what we must WOD on or we will get WODded up by our own situations. Keep fighting no matter what the outcome. The Lord has a reason in everything even if we don’t like or understand it. It’s always what he had planned for us.

Posted by: Matthew Francis 2:50 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • I will be praying for Lauriel and her family/friends. I do not even know you and i am fighting back tears!! what an incredibly strong and tough Women! thank you for sharing her story w us!!

Posted by: paul biester 2:32 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Lauriel, be strong! You are a blesed person, and you can’t imagine How many peolple is inspired by your determination, you are in our prayers!

Posted by: Gastón Vega 2:31 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Thanks for your very, very inspiring post. Made me shut up about my shoulder injury, count my blessings and struggle on. Wishing you guys lots of strength and love for the road ahead. My thoughts are with you.

Posted by: Ilja Beekes 1:57 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • Today i did my first WOD..i dedicate it to you Lauriel.you had my respect .i will pray for you.

Posted by: Selvaggia 1:24 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • What an inspiration to many. Thinking of you at this time. Love, light and blessings to you <3 xx

Posted by: Susan 1:07 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • I will be doing this WOD today to celebrate you Lauriel :) my support all the way from NEW ZEALAND! :)

Posted by: Tui 12:44 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • In my prayers. What an incredible person, admirable Spirit.

Posted by: Gio Salazar 12:22 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • u inspiration

Posted by: Talha 12:01 pm on March 31st, 2014
  • I don’t know you, but you’re amazing strength and will to live made me feel humble after just reading your story. I hope you go from strength to strength and one day you’re over your illness. The world needs people like you.

Posted by: Mark anderson 11:13 am on March 31st, 2014
  • Only knowing you two this summer you’ve made a lifelong impact on me! Both of your compassion, love, and joy for life is evident. Lauriel helpped me when she saw me strugglin. and I got the honor to team up with her a couple times this summer. Have been and will continue to be praying for strength for all.

Posted by: Laura D 5:32 am on October 22nd, 2013
  • I am so glad you were able to come into the box tonight Lauriel. You are the strongest person I know and you’ve inspired so many people by just being you. I hope you know how much you are loved!

Posted by: Brandi 8:34 pm on October 21st, 2013
  • There is no one more deserving of a Hero WOD than you, Lauriel. In the two short years I have known you, you have taught me so much about both CrossFit and life, things that will stick with me forever. You are with out a doubt, the bravest woman I have ever known and it’s an absolute honor to be able to call you my friend. Love you Lauriel!!

Posted by: Mike 6:20 pm on October 21st, 2013
  • RX First time on this WOD and it was tough. Thanks Dan for the push. About 5 into the clean/Jerk Lauriel walked in and I knew I had to push harder. When someone that strong is watching, you have to push harder. Thanks Lauriel and Shawn for inspiring us to do more…to keep going…one rep, one day at a time.

Posted by: matt C 6:15 pm on October 21st, 2013
  • Lauriel, you are such a beautiful, strong woman with a heart of gold. I have learned so much from you, not only about crossfit, but life in general.

Posted by: Terri S 2:55 pm on October 21st, 2013
  • I have been blessed enough to get not only words of encouragement from Lauriel, but a few pointers on my cleans. She is truly an amazing woman, and though I have not known her for long she has made a special place in my heart.

Posted by: Kris Womack 2:44 pm on October 21st, 2013
  • Shawn, I have been amazed at Lauriel’s strength through all of this but also equally amazed at your strength. There is a reason the two of you are together. I am somewhat homebound with a much less urgent family health situation and wish I could visit or bring you something but I am glad that KCF is helping you guys have a little easiness in your lives. I am hoping for peaceful hearts and minds for both of you.

Posted by: Viki 10:50 am on October 21st, 2013
  • Lauriel & Shawn, you have been in our thoughts & prayers and will continue to be. Your grace, strength, and sheer determination are beyond inspiring.

Posted by: Jennifer K 9:21 am on October 21st, 2013
  • You are all in my thoughts. Much love to you Lauriel and Shawn and all your family.

Posted by: Corri girl 8:27 am on October 21st, 2013
  • Very emotional this morning Lauriel! Thinking of you the whole morning and during workout! You are amazing!!

Posted by: Tim R. 8:22 am on October 21st, 2013
  • Lauriel and Shawn you are both loved and supported by the entire KCF Family as well as your families and friends. The courage, strength and the awesome determination the two of you have given each other is totally remarkable and an example of human compassion at its best. We Love you and we keep our humble thoughts and prayers going your way…………Today and everyday.

Posted by: Hal Martinez 10:15 pm on October 20th, 2013
  • Shawn – you are so strong. Thoughts and prayers from Justin and Valentina and me are with you and Lauriel every day.

Posted by: Francesca 9:56 pm on October 20th, 2013
  • So much love and respect for Lauriel!!! She is an amazing woman! Love, prayers and strength for you both!!!

Posted by: Rochelle orkiolla 9:38 pm on October 20th, 2013
  • Wow. What a great post for a great woman.

Posted by: matt C 9:25 pm on October 20th, 2013
  • Thank you Shawn….that is so loving and Lauriel has so been in my thoughts for so many months as she will be for more hopefully.

Posted by: Marla 9:21 pm on October 20th, 2013