April 10, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Wednesday 04/11/12

Snatch balance
3-3-3

Snatch pull
3-3-3

Then: WYW

Team Doublestuff getting it done during the chipper.

Childhood Obesity Prevention: How Soon is Too Soon?

A fairly disturbing study is underway in the U.K.. Four hundred pregnant women who are classified as obese and diagnosed with gestational diabetes are being treated with drugs to prevent obesity in their unborn child. Metformin, a common medication prescribed in cases of Type II Diabetes is being given to the pregnant women in the first ever attempt to treat obesity in utero.

As you can imagine, this is a pretty controversial study. Many support it as an inventive way to prevent obesity and hopefully give these unborn children a chance at a healthy life. Others see this as just another way of enabling the pregnant women to continue unhealthy lifestyles that are likely responsible for their obese state and that poses a risk to their future children.

What do you think? Treating obesity in utero through medication: Good idea or bad medicine?

Click here to read the article on MSN: Treating Obesity in the Womb

• Snatch balance – 175# x 3
    Snatch pull – 185# x 3

Posted by: Chris 7:59 pm on April 11th, 2012
  • Very well said Monica. I agree with you 100%.

Posted by: Caroline 5:47 pm on April 11th, 2012
  • I just think the challenge of obesity is complex and does not lend itself to easy solutions. While I am suspect of any drugs being given to pregnant mothers where outcomes are unknown…I am also aware that I personally have never had to deal with obesity and am reluctant to conclude that obese mothers should just change their food choices. That’s easy for me to say from the outside looking in. Unless underlying issues are adressed I suspect making those changes is very difficult.

Posted by: Monica 5:02 pm on April 11th, 2012
  • The drug was called Thalidomide

Posted by: Dave Lon 9:46 am on April 11th, 2012
  • I do not agree to giving a developing baby a chemical substance that is not of genetic makeup. Once again, scientist are playing god and that is not right. What will this drug do to children after they are born? When will the results be noticeable? How many more children will be effected before they realize they made a terrible mistake? In the 1960 women were given a drug (forget the name now) that resulted in mass birth defects. They stopped administering the drug when my mom was pregnant with me, but I’m still asked at every check up. This is just plain wrong.
    Obesity is an epidemic and it has been proven that it cannot be “cured” by a miracle drug. We need to start by getting the corn/wheat/soy farmers off the government paycheck and have them go back to farming and feeding families, rather than providing for self serving companies that want us fat.

Posted by: Ellen Dougherty 9:29 am on April 11th, 2012
  • I agree with Anonymous. Kim H has a good point too.

Posted by: Corri O 7:04 am on April 11th, 2012
  • I’d like to find the actual published findings on this, but for now this is also perceived to be related – Autism Linked to Obesity in Mothers

Posted by: Kyle 6:08 am on April 11th, 2012
  • It’s concerning that drugs are being given to pregnant women – I suspect that the long term effects of those drugs on unborn baby are unknown. Besides maybe “treating” obesity, what will those drugs do to those babies as they become kids and later adults? Except for times that a pregnant woman requires medicine for something, I am opposed to giving meds to pregnant women. It just isn’t worth the risk to the baby! And to try and prevent obesity seems really unnecessarily risky. Just my 2 cents…

Posted by: Kim H 6:04 am on April 11th, 2012
  • Obesity is a sad epidemic. It is sad that for those without a true medical condition that makes weight managment difficult that people allow themselves to become obese. I realize there are many reasons for obesity but if you care about your health you do something about it. For a parent to allow their child to become obese is truly sad. If you want to be selfish and be obese yourself that is one thing, but to set your child up for failure without them even having a chance to live life and make their own decisions is down right wrong. While I believe medicine should not be a solution to a persons choice to be unhealthy, a child should not be born overweight because the mothers selfishness with her own obesity.

Posted by: anonymous 9:53 pm on April 10th, 2012