April 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Tuesday 04/17/12

6 min AMRAP
20 Hand release push-ups
10 Calorie row
10 Sprints (10m each)

Post rounds and reps to comments.

Happy, happy birthday, Amy!!!!

Zone Confusion: Ack, There’s Fat in My Protein!

Hey, Spring Clean-up Challengers, how was Day 1? A lot of you (us) are doing the Zone. From the buzz I hear around the box and on Facebook, a lot of you have some unresolved confusion about the Zone. Let me address one issue that has come up that may be causing you some issues when you count your blocks.

On Zone charts, such as the one included in CrossFit Journal 21 (if it’s red, click it, it’s a hyperlink), foods are categorized by their primary macronutrient (protein, fat & carbohydrate). So, steak is categorized as protein even though it does contain fat. Almonds are categorized as fat even though they contain some protein and carbohydrates. Milk is a combo because it contains an equal amount of protein and carbohydrate.

So, when you are creating your meals, just stick to the block chart. Don’t get wrapped up in trying to count every gram of every macronutrient, keep it simple. If you eat something that is not on a block chart then you want to identify the primary macronutrient. Almost every food is going to give you a lot of one of the 3 macronutrients and a little of the others. Pick the big one and categorize it as that, then build the rest of your meal around it.  If you really want to start geeking out you could check out the USDA’s Nutrient Database, which breaks down all of the nutrients in pretty much every food imaginable.  I firmly believe that the key to early success with a Zone challenge is to keep it simple in the early stages.

• Have I missed the endurance WOD posting for this week or do we do last weeks runs again?

Posted by: Heather 8:19 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • More nooners! 2+30 for me.

Posted by: Tracie 7:30 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • Thanks to Carol for being my partner tonight. So glad you are back!
    3 rds+6

Posted by: Brandi 7:00 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • 2 + 7 push ups

hopefully will improve at the end of the challange.

Posted by: Carol 6:55 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • 2 rounds + 30 reps
    I love the big group at the nooners, now!

Posted by: Jen B 6:50 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • More noon classes!
    And today’s WOD 3+13

Posted by: Thack 4:59 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • Funny you should ask! Monday thru Friday Nooners. I’ll throw a little $extra$ your way if you make this happen.
    160# a 20#PR and 3rds 14 reps.

Posted by: D-Lo 4:25 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • 3 rounds + 32 reps. What a lung burner! Another huge Nooner. What do you think, do we need to add more Nooners?

Posted by: Dan 4:19 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • 3 rounds + 31 reps

Posted by: Derek 3:29 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • Quick question on Zone: If I have a crazy day and I’m unable to eat one or both of my snacks or miss a meal (missing 2-4 blocks) do I make them up with dinner or are they lost? A 6-8 block dinner sounds HUGE but I also wouldn’t be getting the right amount macronutrients, protein… etc… for the day.

Posted by: Shannon 2:45 pm on April 17th, 2012
  • Question on CFE swim workout – what does TT mean? I’m guessing all out for the time of 2 minutes. Off to NK pool now. Watch out mid-day lazy lap swimmers!

Posted by: Beth 11:56 am on April 17th, 2012
  • Happy birthday, AMY!! Nice sentiment’s Hal.

Posted by: Beth 11:54 am on April 17th, 2012
  • Happy Birthday Amy! Miss all of you but having a great time down in beautiful sunny So. Cal! Aw Hal, what a wonderful thing to tell your daughter, brought a few tears to my eyes:)

Posted by: Corri O 8:51 am on April 17th, 2012
  • Happy Birthday,Amy! Love the meat cupcake idea, my
    family would freak out!

Posted by: Rochelle 7:42 am on April 17th, 2012
  • YmA yadhtriB yppaH

Posted by: Ross 7:08 am on April 17th, 2012
  • I watched Eric get 3 rounds plus 11 reps. When it was my turn I had that as my goal. I knew it was going to be close. In the end I think I blacked out and I woke up just short. 3 rounds plus 10 reps

Posted by: Ross 7:06 am on April 17th, 2012
  • Happy Birthday Amy!!

Posted by: Carol 6:55 am on April 17th, 2012
  • Happy birthday, Amy! Make sure Dan passes along your birthday prize that I left for you this morning… :)

Posted by: Caroline 6:54 am on April 17th, 2012
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY…we are so lucky to have a birthday in the same month what like 4 days apart…wow. Miss seeing you in the Box.

Posted by: Marla 9:27 pm on April 16th, 2012
  • HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY AMY. We are wishing you a grand day and celebration. Oh, so proud to have you as my daughter. The love and respect I have in my heart for you is always overdflowing. It started on day one. Enjoy your day and everyday. Hope to see you tomorrow…………..@ the ‘Box’

LOVE DAD and CATHERINE