November 1, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Wednesday 11/02/11

Clean Pull – Every minute on the minute
3-3-3-3-3-3-3

Post loads to comments.

Somebody may need to talk to Eric about putting a little more fat into his Paleo diet. He's nothing but skin and bones.

Humble Pie: A Not So Tasty Paleo Treat And A Good Lesson in Scaling
(written by Dan Hollingsworth)

I’m just going to put this out there, yesterday’s WOD whooped my butt.  Those dang barbell overhead walks, left me very humbled, rather frustrated and just a bit sore about the neck (Dr. Morgan, do you have any openings?).

Did this have to be?  No, this was all pretty much my own fault.  Chalk it up to a case of forgetting to check my ego at the door.  Just because I have been doing this stuff for 4 years doesn’t mean I can’t still learn a lesson or two.  The lesson yesterday was “You can’t Rx 185# barbell overhead walks.”  It’s not like I didn’t test it out.  I worked my way up to the Rx’d weight and thought it felt okay, but there is a big difference between walking a few feet in the gym and trying to walk 40m outside.  Just 30m into the first round I dropped weight to 165#.  I struggled with this weight for 2 additional rounds before finally dropping to 135#, which was still a gnarly weight for me.  I was pretty demoralized at this point then going over to fight with the 95# barbell farmer carry after that was just rubbing salt in the wounds.  Fortunately no kids were around because I may have let a few expletives slip out.

The point of this whole rambling mess of a post is that scaling isn’t just for the new people.  Scaling isn’t just for the slower people.  At some point, pretty much everybody is going to have to scale a WOD or two, regardless of who they are.  Can you say King Kong?  Scaling a WOD should not be looked at as a badge of shame or scarlet letter.  Scaling a WOD is just what you have to do to get the desired stimulus from the workout.  The point of our program isn’t to get everybody to the point where they are hitting every WOD Rx’d.  The point of the program is to push people beyond their comfort zones through high intensity workouts, if that means you have to drop a bit of weight to go faster, then by all means, DROP WEIGHT.  If that means that you have to shave off some reps to finish the WOD in a reasonable timeframe, then by all means, SHAVE OFF REPS.  Regardless of what manner you have to scale the WOD, just remember: CHECK YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR.

• Ha! Bad scaling is… funny! I like to laugh at our peeps when they scale poorly. Cruel? Only from the sounds of it. It’s an effective teacher too. You got to strike a balance of how often and how hard to really go for it, and some times we have to help each other learn this!

Posted by: Ted Devito 10:01 pm on November 14th, 2011
  • T3- You don’t owe an apology! Many of us struggle with low self esteem and past demons (you and me both, T). I’m glad everyone is so supportive at KCF, otherwise I’d never come back in after a tough WOD!

Posted by: Brooke 1:01 pm on November 3rd, 2011
  • I owe an apology, I feel as if I have contributed to the history of this post. 1) my normal response to RXing is usually, “yes you can do it” and 2) in my attempt to show Dan how difficult this WOD was to work through I apparently failed.
    Seriously, I don’t know how many times I’ve walked away from a WOD dissatisfied not with my slow time, or poor performance, but the knowledge that I should have done that better. Many times i have left womdering what is wrong with me without even taking a moment to consider if it would have benefitted me more to scale. A huge part of this stems from low self esteem. I must push myself that hard. Please don’t feel sucked into that trap. It can be a horrible spiral into over training despair. Your WOD should not make you feel insignificant.

Posted by: Tcubed 7:03 pm on November 2nd, 2011
  • Brooke you have never let other people down.

Posted by: Marla 6:51 pm on November 2nd, 2011
  • Great reminder Dan. Luckily I have no problem scaling because I usually have to do it, but sometimes I feel like I’m letting other people down because of it (fellow crossfitters, the coach, etc)-like I should be far ahead of where I am at this point. Many times I have completed a WOD but felt crappy because I had to scale it. We all have to remember what OUR goals are, though. I had plenty of endurance starting crossfit but zero strength, so I have come a long way since then. I just want to continue to get stronger and better, even if I am going at a slower rate! We all have our strengths and our weaknesses.

Posted by: Brooke 4:03 pm on November 2nd, 2011
  • Think of the RX as a point of referrence. And if you improve the next time you do the WOD, consider it a PR! A PR is just as cool as RX! If it is not a PR, give yourself a hell ya just for showing up and putting in the effort. Most people go home and sit on the couch…

Posted by: Corri 3:19 pm on November 2nd, 2011
  • This is a GREAT post…for those of us who have NEVER Rx’d, it’s encouraging to hear that we still matter and are still getting it right by showing up, working on our technique, and leaving VERY sore. :-)

Posted by: Jackie 3:09 pm on November 2nd, 2011
  • I like to think that main site weights are more for the elite Crossfit games people. Every once in a while I can do RX’d, but usually I can’t workout for three days after if I do. So I have resided to scaling for a good long time! 75# overhead last night kicked my butt!

Posted by: StephanieB 11:18 am on November 2nd, 2011
  • Thank you for the great post Dan. For those of us who long for the elusive RX, and are so proud of ourselves when we can actually bang one out, its nice to know the beasts struggle occasionally as well. I’ve been known to proudly put those letters behind my name one night, swagger out of the box, and the next night leave feeling humbled, but head high knowing I gave it my all. Thanks for the reminder Billy.

Posted by: Landa 7:45 am on November 2nd, 2011
  • I still get down on myself if I can’t Rx. Dan, I appreciate the encouragement to check my ego. I have always struggled with that. I love Crossfit and I have to make sure I compete with myself rather than with other people. That will lead to greater fulfillment.

Posted by: Ross 7:12 am on November 2nd, 2011
  • Posted by: Ross 7:11 am on November 2nd, 2011
  • I used to get extremely down on myself for not being able to do a workout rx’d, But now I dont really care. As long as you tried your best and put everything you had into the workout that is all that matters. cause that is what crossfit is all about (atleast to me anyway)

Posted by: Billy 10:58 pm on November 1st, 2011
  • whew! Yep I am one of the slower peeps… Thanks…all WODS whip my butt..but I try.

Posted by: Marla 9:47 pm on November 1st, 2011